Friday, March 7, 2008

A Curious Fellow


Treasure Cay Harbor seems to have a new resident, a young green turtle. I say "young" because this little guy is only about two feet long and probably weighs about 12 pounds. These long-lived reptiles range from 100 to 200 pounds full grown.

It seems that every time I go into the cockpit for a look around, I see the turtle poke his brown spotted head out of the water like a sock puppet, his bright eye peering back at me. He sinks slowly and then surfaces for a second look before he continues his rounds. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to snap a photo of the little guy. Guess he's camera shy!


Despite it's name these turtles are not green but brownish in color. Their name is derived from their gelatinous green body fat! they are an endangered species, so it's very nice to see one paddling around looking healthy and happy!
PS: Since I wrote this, we have returned to Treasure and our fellow has a buddy. Ah, it's spring (well, almost!)

No comments: