Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Million Dollar Lot: February 21


One day we were out for a walk on one of Treasure Cay's waterfront roads when we spotted a great white heron. At first I thought it was a statue beside a swimming pool, but when it took off and flew to a nearby vacant lot, I realized it was the real thing. I always enjoy the challenge of photographing a bird...never mind that I probably already have half a dozen pictures of herons on my computer. So we stopped at the edge of the lot while I aimed my camera at the wary bird.
A couple rode up on their bikes as we stood there. "A million bucks and it's yours," he said, coming to a stop.

We thought at first he was joking. "Wait a minute, I'll get my checkbook," I replied.

"No, I'm serious, we own it. It's for sale," he assured us. "We bought it a long time ago, thought we'd build a house for our parents, but life happened, they passed away, our kids moved out, so now we're thinking we'll just stay where we are." They had a house on the opposite shore of Treasure Cay.

We chatted for a while about the high price of property in the islands, an on-going source of debate here in the Abacos. Like us, these folks were retired snowbirds. They lived in Minnesota in the warm months.

"Well, it's out of our price range," we said finally.

"That's OK," the fellow assured us. "It's not a very good lot anyway. When the hurricanes come everything on this side of the peninsula gets trashed. Well, nice meeting you."

"With that sales pitch, it'll probably be a while before he sees his million!" I said to Peter as the couple rode off around the corner.
Of course, by that time the heron was barely visible behind a clump of vegetation. I snapped him anyway!

No comments: